Maybe you want to listen to ALL the events that come in off the Apple Remote. I don’t know how to do that under OS X, but here’s how to do it under Windows with Boot Camp:
- Open up the System icon from the Control Panel.
- Choose the Hardware tab.
- Click on the Device Manager button.
- Expand “Human Interface Devices” in the tree view.
- Right click on “Apple IR Receiver” and choose Update Drivers…
- Choose “Install from a list or specific location” and click next.
- Choose “Don’t search.” and click next.
- You’ll see a list with several options. Choose “USB Human Interface Device” and hit Next.
- Continue clicking “Next” to get through the wizard. Eventually you’ll be asked to reboot, after the drivers are installed. Do so.
- Reboot. Now you will get complete and unfiltered HID events from the IR Receiver. In addition, +/- and Menu will no longer change your volume or launch iTunes.
At this point you could grab a program like EventGhost, and use the HID plugin (at the bottom of the list of plugins) to listen to events from the remote and do whatever you like with them! Be sure to uncheck “Trigger enduring events for buttons” and check “Use raw Data as event name” or you won’t see any events.